The mission of Hunter Medical Research Institute (HMRI) is to improve the health and wellbeing of the community by undertaking world-class research, from discovery to applied, in collaboration with their partners, the University of Newcastle, Hunter New England Local Health District and the Community.
HMRI was established in 1998 and, in 2012, opened the doors of their world class research facility they call home, which adjoins John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle.
As the world evolves, so too, does HMRI, and we are now at the exciting next phase of our journey towards being global leaders in the effective and efficient translation of health and medical research to develop high-value health solutions.
As part of the implementation of HMRI's current strategic plan, a recent organisational redesign has resulted in the creation of a number of new positions for which we are now recruiting. Each position will be maximum term contract until 30 September 2022 based on the current funding model.
The new organisational structure will enable HMRI to continue to build on collaboration and efficiency, and to focus on activities and projects of greatest value to delivering vital life-changing health and medical research.
About this role
Reporting to the Associate Director Data Science, the Senior Statistician, working as part of a collaborative research team, is responsible for the provision of high-quality statistical support to University of Newcastle and Hunter New England Area Health Service researchers.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Meet with clients to provide advice on study design, data management, and statistical analysis methods
- Manage client expectations
- Assist with study design and statistical methodologies for grant applications
- Assist with operational management of the unit overseeing 4 direct reports
- Provide statistical leadership for large studies funded from either government or industry
- Develop data management and statistical analysis plans
- Perform complex simulations to determine operating characteristics of a study
- Provide supervision of statisticians in carrying out data management and statistical analyses
- Develop and maintain programs for statistical analysis according to statistical analysis plans
- Develop and maintain research databases
- Manage project timeframes and scope to ensure timely delivery of reports
Ideally, we are looking for a person who has had at least 4 years in medical research/biostatistics/ health environment with an ability to communicate and consult with clients, with commercial orientation. Essentially, we are looking for formal qualifications in statistics, being technically solid in this domain, as well as experience in juggling multiple large scale projects with competing deadlines.
- Post-graduate/doctoral qualifications in statistics or biostatistics, and a background in medical research with extensive relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience across a range of statistical programming languages with application to data management, statistical programming and analysis techniques
- Advanced knowledge of study design, statistical methodology, and data quality assurance.
- Demonstrated ability in working collaboratively in a multidisciplinary environment to answer complex research questions.
- Project management skills, including ability to prioritise multiple deadlines and managing client expectations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including high quality reporting and presentation skills.
The person appointed to this position will be required to complete a 100-pointidentification check and employment is subject to proof of the right to work in Australia.
How to apply
To access a copy of the success profile pack including position description and essential criteria, please click here.
Applications should include cover letter addressing the criteria and a CV. If you don't have medical research experience please outline your transferrable skills in your covering letter. Confidential enquiries can be made to Wendy Donovan on 0407 525 949 and firstname.lastname@example.org.