Compass Housing Services is one of Australia's largest non-government social housing providers with over 35 years' experience in providing secure and affordable housing, as well as delivering housing products for disadvantaged people who have difficulties sourcing adequate housing.
The Compass Group provides tenancy and/or property management for over 6500 properties in New South Wales, Queensland and New Zealand. Compass has an operating income of $90 million per annum, net assets of $360 million and a team of close to 200 employees.
About the role
Reporting to the Compass Chairperson, the role of the Company Secretary is an autonomous position, administering the governance activities of the company and managing and supporting the business of the Compass Group Board. The duties of the position will extend across all associated entities, committees, and advisory groups.
The creation of the role of Company Secretary as a stand-alone position has been done to create additional time and resources to enhance governance to a best practice level and to be proactive in identifying emerging governance trends.
The Company Secretary will be responsible and accountable to the Board through the Chair to:
- Ensure compliance with applicable legal, regulatory, statutory and other governance requirements for the Compass Group Boards and Governance Committees.
- Provide advice to all Directors and Senior Executives on discharging their duties under the Corporations Act (2001), Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission Act (2012) and other applicable legislation, regulations and policies.
- Proactively research, identify, and make recommendations to the Board regarding opportunity for improving governance policies and structures.
- Ensure proper conduct of meetings for the Compass Group.
- Manage governance administration of the Compass Group including its subsidiaries and joint venture entities.
The ideal candidate will consider themselves a Company Secretariat specialist and possess the following experience and personal attributes:
- Minimum 5-7 years in corporate governance in a Company Secretary role.
- A Graduate and Member of the Governance Institute of Australia.
- Thorough understanding of the duties of a Company Secretary, under the Corporations Act (2001) and other applicable legislation, regulations and policies, and discharge with diligence.
- Company Secretariat experience of a complex business with multiple entities.
- Success in researching emerging governance issues and presenting recommendations to Boards.
- Ability to develop and maintain workflows for the timely communication, provision of and exchange of information between the Company Secretary, Boards and Executive Management.
- Ability to exercise well informed and responsible judgement for key responsibilities and accountabilities.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex concepts in plain English.
- Exceptional organisational skills and focus, including a capacity to effectively and efficiently prioritise tasks and manage time in accordance with strict deadlines, with meticulous attention to detail.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships with a range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrate discretion, integrity and commitment to high ethical standards and behaviours that reflect Compass' values.
We welcome enquiries from candidates that may require flexibility as to the location of the role.
How to apply
To learn more about key responsibilities, company culture and associated benefits of this opportunity, please contact Sally Bartley or Ali Kimmorley on 0249 291666. You can request a copy of the position description click here. To apply, click 'Apply for this Job' and include cover letter and CV.
Applications close COB Wednesday 4th August 2021.