- Bring your commercial PR & media experience to a new arena
- Influence major stakeholders and partners
- Be part of the exciting journey towards being a global leader
About the organisation
The mission of Hunter Medical Research Institute (HMRI) is to improve the health and wellbeing of the community by undertaking world-class research, from discovery to applied, in collaboration with their partners, the University of Newcastle, Hunter New England Local Health District and the Community.
HMRI was established in 1998 and, in 2012, opened the doors of their world class research facility they call home, which adjoins John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle.
As the world evolves, so too, does HMRI, and we are now at the exciting next phase of our journey towards being global leaders in the effective and efficient translation of health and medical research to develop high-value health solutions.
As part of the implementation of HMRI's current strategic plan, a recent organisational redesign has resulted in the creation of a number of new positions for which we are now recruiting. Each position will be fixed term contract until 30 September 2022 based on the current funding model.
The new organisational structure will enable HMRI to continue to build on collaboration and efficiency, and to focus on activities and projects of greatest value to delivering vital life-changing health and medical research.
About this role
Reporting to the Head of Marketing, the Media and Public Relations Specialist will enhance and protect the profile and reputation of HMRI through effective public relations and media engagement.
Working closely with the Marketing team and key partners and stakeholders, this role will develop and deliver the public and media activities for HMRI including coordinating and implementing a range of effective multi-channel media and publicity campaigns and programs. This role will also proactively identify new opportunities to support HMRI achieving their strategic goals in particular becoming leaders who influence policy and practice.
This position will require an individual confident in their ability to navigate the current national media landscape and leverage off their existing contacts, as well as build new relationships in relevant niche media and PR landscapes. The ideal person will have demonstrated experience identifying and capitalising on strategic opportunities involving key partners in a previous role.
Ideally with a commercial background you will be able to recognize and engage with agency when required.
Previous experience and skills we are seeking include:
* Tertiary qualifications in Media, Public Relations, Communications, or a related discipline
* Substantial experience working in media and public relations in a similar environment, and an understanding of the current media landscape
* Proven experience in coordinating and implementing successful publicity campaigns and PR initiatives from brief to implementation
* Thorough understanding of media needs and media relationships, with high level experience in media liaison, including production of media releases and securing high quality and impactful publicity opportunities
* Experience working with a diverse range of internal stakeholders and proven ability to effectively manage expectations of individuals who have a varied understanding of media interaction
* High-level interpersonal skills with an ability to effectively build sustainable and successful relationships with internal and external stakeholders and leverage networks to secure outcomes
* Demonstrated experience drafting high-quality corporate messaging and documentation including an effective writing style with proven ability to tailor messages for different audiences.
* Ability to write, create briefs and project plans quickly and accurately with a high attention to detail
* Demonstrated high-level organisational skills, including the ability to prioritise, manage time, meet deadlines and work effectively in a fast-paced dynamic environment
* Ability to work co-operatively, to accomplish joint tasks, build positive working relationships, and work as an effective and highly-functioning member of a team
How to apply
To aaccess a copy of the success profile pack including position description and essential criteria, please click here.
Applications should include cover letter addressing the criteria and CV. Confidential enquiries can be made to Wendy Donovan on 02 4929 1666 Applications for this position close COB Wednesday 30th September 2020.