Compass Housing Services is a not-for-profit community housing provider which aims to alleviate the hardship of housing stress by providing secure and affordable housing for low to moderate income earning households, as well as delivering housing products for disadvantaged people who have difficulties sourcing adequate and affordable accommodation.
As Corporate Counsel and Company Secretary you will provide a full spectrum of legal, governance administration, risk and compliance services to Compass Housing Services, its subsidiaries and related bodies corporate (Compass Group).
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serve as the key legal advisor on all major internal and external commercial and contract matters
- Represent the Compass Group in commercial negotiations and transactions
- Develop a litigation management framework to minimise risk, ensure compliance and facilitate reporting requirements
- Provide in-house legal training to non-legal employees.
- Prepare, record and maintain all board and committee papers, minutes and registers and attend meetings in accordance with the provisions of the Corporations Act (2001)
- Ensure Compass meets, and assist Compass to meet, all requirements of ASIC, ACNC, the ATO and any other regulatory bodies
- Provide proactive advice to the Board on the development, promotion and continuous improvement of good corporate governance practices
- Liaise regularly with the Group Managing Director and Executive Manager Governance, Risk & Compliance on matters including but not limited to ensuring effective communication between the Board and management and between Compass and its members.
Appropriate tertiary legal qualifications, as well as admission or eligibility for admission to the Supreme Court of NSW and a current practising certificate is essential.
Additional selection criteria includes:
- 3-5 years' experience in Corporate/Commercial law, with particular skills in interpreting, analysing and drafting legal documents
- Proven ability to formulate practical legal solutions to minimise and avoid exposure
- Excellent stakeholder management, analytical and negotiation skills
- Ability to write and communicate complex legal concepts in plain English
- Strong decision-making qualities.
If you possess both the experience and passion for working for an organisation that truly makes a difference, click Apply to submit your resume and cover letter addressing the above criteria, or for a confidential discussion, please call Sally Bartley on 02 4929 1666. Applications must be received by COB Friday 1 September 2017 to be considered.