About the organisation
The mission of Hunter Medical Research Institute (HMRI) is to improve the health and wellbeing of the community by undertaking world-class research, from discovery to applied, in collaboration with their partners, the University of Newcastle, Hunter New England Local Health District and the Community.
HMRI was established in 1998 and, in 2012, opened the doors of their world class research facility they call home, which adjoins John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle.
As the world evolves, so too, does HMRI, and we are now at the exciting next phase of our journey towards being global leaders in the effective and efficient translation of health and medical research to develop high-value health solutions.
As part of the implementation of HMRI's current strategic plan, a recent organisational redesign has resulted in the creation of a number of new positions for which we are now recruiting. Each position will be fixed term contract until 30 September 2022 based on current funding model.
The new organisational structure will enable HMRI to continue to build on collaboration and efficiency, and to focus on activities and projects of greatest value to delivering vital life-changing health and medical research.
About this role
The position of Community Engagement Specialist will lead the development and implementation of an engagement program to increase HMRI brand recognition, loyalty and revenues, ensuring the 1700 strong research community and the wider community stakeholder group of existing and potential supporters are kept informed of HMRI's progress through a range of communication channels.
Collaborating extensively with colleagues across HMRI and externally, this role will contribute significantly to the successful delivery of HMRI's strategic goals and be responsible for delivering engagement activities for the two major stakeholder groups.
This position will require a naturally engaging individual with well-developed skills in creating effective communications, campaigns and engagement opportunities across multiple channels that both provide relevant, informative information but also encourages response that further enhances stakeholders relationships.
Previous experience and skills we are seeking include:
- Tertiary qualifications in Community Engagement, Public Relations, Marketing or a related discipline;
- Substantial experience working in community engagement and/or marketing;
- Proven experience in engaging with communities on complex and competing issues, communications, public affairs and stakeholder engagement;
- High-level interpersonal skills and confident relationship building ability across broad stakeholder groups (corporate, community and government);
- Demonstrated project management skills and with the ability to deliver on key milestones and within budget;
- Demonstrated experience drafting high-quality corporate messaging and documentation including an effective writing style with proven ability to tailor messages for different audiences;
- Ability to work co-operatively, to accomplish joint tasks, build positive working relationships, and work as an effective and highly-functioning member of a team.
How to apply
To access a success profile pack including position description and essential criteria, please click here.
Applications should include cover letter addressing the criteria and CV. Confidential enquiries can be made to Ali Kimmorley on 0249 291666. Applications for this position close COB Thursday 1st October 2020.